GRAND RIVER HOSPITAL DISTRICT
POSITION TITLE: Medical Assistant
DEPARTMENT: Grand River Clinics
REPORTS TO: Administrative Director of Clinic Operations
BASIC FUNCTION: Provides direct professional medical care to patients. Assesses needs, provides laboratory procedures as appropriate, ensures proper follow up care, and supports clinic team in completion of tasks.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent
CNA, LPN, or Registered Medical Assistant preferred
Experience: Experience as a medical assistant preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Skills needed to effectively perform medical assisting duties, such as immunizations, checking vitals, administering basic laboratory tests, and communicating with patients
- Familiarity with all office equipment: copier, multi-line phones, fax machine, etc.
- Knowledge of dictation equipment and computer programs, including word-processing and spreadsheet applications. Familiar with clinic practice management system and electronic health record
- Must have effective oral and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, and the ability to work well and communicate with others
- Must be able to demonstrate accuracy in processing detailed information
- Knowledge and proper use of grammar, spelling, punctuation, proofing, document formatting and basic math skills
- Must have effective problem solving skills and be able to handle multiple tasks with interruptions
- Comfort developing positive relationships with team members and providers
- Assist in all aspects of medical practice under supervision of medical provider
- Assess needs of patients, checks vital signs, provide laboratory procedures as appropriate, and ensure proper follow-up care
- Administer immunizations
- Room patients and set up procedures for provider
- Frequent contact with patients regarding all levels of concerns and questions
- Remain up-to-date on public health policies and procedures
- Be a positive member of clinic team and willing to help others when needed
- Performs other duties as required or requested to assure smooth operation of practice
- Promotes and practices the policies and procedures of Grand River Clinics and Grand River Hospital District
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, use the hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. Must be able to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
WORKING CONDITIONS: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock and risk of radiation. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Our mission is to improve the health and well being of our communities.